Sunday 14 April 2019

A Few Words on Rooftop Prince

(This is a format I've invented to make reviews more straight-forward if I feel like doing them, which also works better with my busy, busy schedule. So enjoy a blunter, better-polished version of one of my earliest reviews.)


Rooftop Prince instantly struck me as the perfect drama when it first aired, a concoction of themes and genres I adored with the kind of humour that made me laugh until I cried. I can't say I feel the same way now. This makes sense, since the drama was written like a sum of parts; every scene alone felt compelling, however stepping back and looking at it as a whole once it was over revealed a less glamorous picture. Rooftop Prince never established a consistent logic to its time-travel, more concerned with frankly boring, trope-driven subplots. Also, the romance established seemed unhealthy, since the main couple couldn't sit in a room without screaming at each other and the titular Prince desperately needed to fix his misogyny and grow a new personality (plus, it's very hard to see Park Yoo-chun as a leading man once you possess a working knowledge of his many disturbing scandals). To its credit, I will say that Rooftop Prince was trying something very new at the time, when fantasy-romance was all the rage, however this doesn't change the fact that it's very hard to come back to with fresh eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment