Saturday 13 April 2019

A Few Words on Cinderella's Sister

(This is a format I've invented to make reviews more straight-forward if I feel like doing them, which also works better with my busy, busy schedule. So enjoy a blunter, better-polished version of one of my earliest reviews.)

A delightful twist on the over-told story, Cinderella's Sister was poised to be an encapsulation of everything I love. The fiercely talented Moon Geun-young was cast as a character I still find beguiling, a broken girl turned cold to survive. So watching her find her place in a sensible household after her mother's remarriage was hugely rewarding, because every snippet of love she received visibly started to heal her. Where the budding connections (between her and her new stepfather, as well as with the boy she liked) were pleasant to watch, the conflict with her new stepsister was equally compelling. And so four episodes passed in bliss - unfortunately, and with great sadness for the drama this could have been, I have to say that the time skip that occurred after was poorly executed and took the story I loved to the shredder. It's fair to say that sitting through sixteen episodes of mind-numbing winery politics has soured my opinion of Cinderella's Sister greatly. What a missed opportunity! This drama had all the right ingredients, and absolutely would have passed down as a favourite of mine had the writing held its course.



No comments:

Post a Comment