Friday 6 October 2017

Overprotected Kahoko: First Impressions

As you can tell, I'm starting more shows than I'm finishing right now, so here's another first impression for you. In short: I love it. I didn't think I would, but I realllly love it.


Overprotected Kahoko is about just that - Kahoko is almost solely reliant on her mother. But she's graduating from university soon, so it's time to grow up. Luckily, she meets Mugino Hajime, who isn't a particularly great person, but may be the only one who can change her. 

I expected to absolute hate our heroine, who you can infer from the title is unbelievable spoiled, but I didn't. She's impossible to hate. In fact, she's surprisingly endearing. Despite never having done anything for herself, Kahoko is a sweetie-pie. She cares so much about the people around her, its no wonder she's coddled so much. That's innocence you feel obliged to protect. What makes her frustrating is that she's effectively still a baby - firstly in mannerisms, because what she seems to do best is sleeping, but also because she'd completely clueless about how to survive in the wild without someone to hold her hand. I've already taken a liking to Takahata Mitsuki. Her face is hilariously expressive, and she acts with her entire body. I saw her in Evergreen Love, but that movie was nothing to shout about.
  Her encounter with Hajime was so great. He's everything Kahoko isn't - self-reliant, driven, and a total asshole. I kind of loved his character's manic energy; how he lives from day to day absolute certain of his path in life, and massively proud of his goals. He was brutally honest with Kahoko, which is exactly what she needs. He's starting to feel her sincerity now, which makes me happy. See, it isn't Kahoko's fault that she's the way she is - her overbearing mother controls every aspect of her life, but she wants to change.
  I loved that Overprotected Kahoko's narration comes from the perspective of her father, who loves her with his whole heart but doesn't have the courage to tell her what she needs to hear. Like, ever. He always thinks of the perfect things to say, but they never pass his lips. He comes from a more humble background than his wife, and she doesn't realise what he knows - Kahoko needs to go through some hardships in order to grow up into a functioning adult.
  I truly believe I'm going to great what I want from this drama - Kahoko maturing, whilst maintaining her cute little eccentricities, but also her big extended family of babies all growing up with her. They've gone to the trouble of giving the family big personalities, so I want to see them developed. Particularly, I'm looking forward to Kahoko's mother learning to step back and let her daughter life her own life. It's gonna be fun, I just know it.

No comments:

Post a Comment