Thursday 5 February 2015

Buzzer Beat

Before I expanded my horizons and ventured into the unknown with Korean drama, japanese romantic-comedies were my bread and butter. Buzzer Beat is one of my particular favourites, a story of two people in their early twenties who preservere and attempt to achieve their dreams, with the other's encouragement. 

Image result for buzzer beatAmbitious yet underpaid basketball player Kamiya Naoki is the perfect guy. Not only is he sweet and kind, but he enjoys cooking and cleaning. His only fault is that, depsite his talent, he lacks confidence and it often lets him down during matches. Shirakawa Riko works part-time in a bookstore and shares a flat with her best friend. Riko is passionate about violin, and although she remains optimistic and outawrdly cheerful, she  doubts whether or not she has enough talent to play professionally. One day, these two are brought together. Soon enough, they make eachother stronger and support eachother with their dreams. But they can't be together - Naoki is in love with his long-time girlfriend, someone more poisonous than he realises, and meanwhile Riko is being pursued by his team's coach.

Buzzer Beat isn't all that unique, however it does show why this formula has been used so often, and why it's so good when it's done well. Yamashita Tomohisa is endlessly talented. He isn't always massively expressive, and yet I always feel in dept what Naoki is feeling. I have very little to no problems with the plot of Buzzer Beat, I really loved it! The opening is amazing with an enjoyable sequence that makes you excited for the upcoming episode. I can guarantee you will love this song and know the lyrics by heart after finishing the series. There are some really strong scenes which highlight the drama for me, like when Riko shouts at Naoki to get it together during a practice game,or when she pleads him not to say they shouldn't see each other. I couldn't get over it, when the background music kicked in I was already anticipating or crying! In the last episode each character reaches their own suitable conclusion and it ends in a sweet and satisfying way, I never grow tired of watching it.

No comments:

Post a Comment