Sunday 25 December 2016

Some Timewasting Web Drama to Digest

Web-dramas are always one of two things - fluffy timewasters, or sweet/interesting ideas without enough plot to fill sixteen episodes. In fact, many of the web-drama I've watched has been little shows made to promote upcoming pop groups, like 5urprise or EXO (more on that later), but after getting Netflix - who prefer posting cheaper web-drama rather than hit shows - I've discovered a side of web-drama I hadn't seen before. Don't get me wrong, though, that alternate side isn't what  I''m talking about today.
  Anyhow, if you don't have the time to make a commitment to a longer show, you can watch some of these bite-size dramas during your coffee breaks. That way, even if you're disappointed with how they turn out, it won't hit quite as hard.

NOTE: Don't confuse web-drama with mini-dramas or drama specials, which I intend to do a separate post for. In addition, this post is just for the web-drama used to introduce or publicize K-pop groups. Expect more web-drama lists in the future.

Image result for exo next doorEXO Next Door is probably a good place to start. It stars Moon Ga-young (most recently acted in Jealousy Incarnate) as a two-dimensional girl who only thinks about boys and how she may never get a boyfriend since she turns a magenta colour when she's embarrassed (seriously, magenta). So naturally, she's the one who has the privilege to go next door and find four members of EXO have moved in. 
  This drama is predictable with fairly unappealing leads (she's dim, he's insufferable, but also attractive which makes it all okay), but just enough quirky bromance to keep me going. I ddn't really enjoy EXO Next Door, but I basically saw the show through to the end since D.O. was there. He would be the member of EXO at the bottom of the picture, and he's given fantastic performances in dramas It's Okay, That's Love and I Remember You, as well as the movie Unforgettable. He also starred in Hyung earlier this year alongside Park Shin-hye and Jo Jung-seok, which I can't wait to watch. This web-drama was wasted on him. In short, EXO Next Door is perfectly fine, but only if you ignore how mainstream the story is and lose yourself in all the pretty.
Image result for after school lucky or not korean drama

After School: Lucky or Not was very cute, but in a random, colourful kind of way. Picture this: you're a normal girl, but you're suddenly scouted to become the leader of a weird club. This club is full of wildly different boys who're all best friends regardless. Everyday, they pick a new task they have to complete - some are mundane, some are mortifying, and some are plain mad. But who wrote the tasks? What is the dark secret these boys hide?
  Frankly, I think the wonderful Kim So-eun was out of place against the members of 5urprise. She's a good actress, whilst they were beginners. Putting that aside, though, After School: Lucky or Not had this infectous energy despite the completely crazy concept of the show.

Click Your Heart was interesting - in a kind of pick-your-own-story format, this web-drama is about an 'unlucky' girl with four pretty suitors. Depending on which episode you choose, she ends up with a different boy.  
  Now, despite the premise being cute, I didn't particularly like this. Only because, by attempting to make the four storylines wildly different, two of the boys ended up (in my opinion)with terrible characters. The first, especially. No clever human girl would fall for someone as controlling as that. Characters like that are why I don't want to finish Noble, My Love, even though Sung Hoon is usually fantastic. His character was insufferable. Ignofring that, though, this was a fresh idea and although the execution was bad, I appreciated the originality. 

Dream Knight was great in theory, but had a weird ending that didn't follow the logic that the drama itself had set up in the beginning.
  I loved the concept - a bullied and crippled girl acclaims four mystery boys who act as her knights. The knights are, in reality, toys made with love that were granted the chance to become human. But soon they discover they can only become truly human if they betray their lady and let her die. Effectively, the knights have to sacrifice their lives for her, or live very pitiful lives. 
  Frankly, I wish this project could have gotten a better writer, and maybe even better actors, because I would have loved to see this kind of story tackled as a full-length drama. It was far more melodramatic and dark than any web-drama I've seen before, and had far more romance, so despite the poor writing and annoying heroine I quite liked it.


To Be Continued starred ASTRO as themselves, in a fictional universe where they're about to debut as singers, but suddenly they're thrown back in time to when they were only high schoolers. They have to resolve the problems occuring there before they can go home - luckily their friend Ah-rin, who may be a little more special than she first appears, to send them home.
  This was my first web-drama, simply because I knew Kim Sae-ron was starring in it, one of my favourite child actresses. Despite sporting as interesting concept, the plot was as wafer-thin as most web-drama plots are, sadly. Regardless, though, I did enjoy it. If I were to recommend any idol-filled web drama, this would be the one. It's nice, simple, and not quite as frustrating as some of the ones above. If you have a spare few hours, try watching this. If it's not your thing, it doesn't have to be continued. Badum-ching! (I'll see myself out now...)

Did I make an entire list, pretending it was recommendations, to turn around at the end and only wholeheartedly recommend one? Whoops.

No comments:

Post a Comment